(Foundation) Training Course
About the course
The Level 1 (Foundation) course is 2 days with each of the 2 days usually one week apart. This enables participants to reflect on the ideas from the first day, try some out and build on ideas for practice on day 2.
As an early intervention approach, Protective Behaviours (PBs) can improve the emotional wellbeing of children, young people and families and help them build skills to keep themselves and their children feeling safe thereby reducing the need for more specialist help. This course is also intended to support staff by enhancing their own skills and strategies to keep themselves feeling safe with increased tools to use in their practice.
The course will explore the 5 key elements of the Protective Behaviours (PBs) process including the 2 themes that form the basis of the PBs process and the relevance to people of all ages and abilities.
o Theme 1: We all have the right to feel safe all of the time
o Theme 2: We can talk with someone about anything even if it’s awful or small
o The 7 PBs Strategies
Protective Behaviours is a practical and down to earth approach to personal safety and the improving of well-being, self-esteem and confidence. It encourages self-empowerment and brings with it the skills to avoid becoming victimised.
This is achieved by helping people to:
· Recognise and trust their intuitive feelings (Early Warning Signs)
· Express and manage feelings in a responsible way
· Develop and build safe networks of support,
· Develop strategies for problem-solving (to help keep ourselves and others feeling safe)
· Recognise the influence of Unwritten Rules and beliefs
· Improve resilience
· Increase awareness of how language can enhance communication and relationships to enable children, young people and adults to feel safe.
The Protective Behaviours Process encourages an adventurous approach to life which satisfies the need for fun and excitement without violence and fear
The Protective Behaviours process can be used by whole staff teams, groups and in one to one work and for a person’s own safety and wellbeing. The ideas and strategies are relevant for everyone within their workplace, their personal lives and those with whom they work. People of all ages and in many different circumstances have found Protective Behaviours useful and for many it has been life changing.
Who is it for?
A range of organisations, teams and individuals have been trained and are using Protective Behaviours including Schools, Social care, Family Support, Children’s Centres, Domestic Violence services, Youth teams, Health, Police and Voluntary organisations. No previous knowledge or training in PBs is required for this course.
It is expected that by the end of the course participants will:
- Recognise the effects of Unwritten Rules on feelings, thoughts & behaviour
- Recognise the inter-relationship of Feelings, Thoughts and Behaviour
- Know the importance of the two themes of Protective Behaviours and understand their importance in helping people feel safe
- Understand what ‘Feeling Safe’ is and the recognise Early Warning Signs
- Understand how to build a personal network of support
- Understand the 7 Protective Behaviours Strategies and how they can be applied in practice
- Understand how the use of safe, empowering language is effective in communicating and in enhancing relationships in the workplace, with families and in communities
Completion of the Level 1 (Foundation) course enables progression on to the Level 2 (Intermediate) training course
Comments from previous participants
- I was kept interested throughout the whole course.
- Great facilitator and extremely knowledgeable. Thanks Fiona
- Very insightful. Could tell you practice what you preach.
- Really good, helpful, practical, wish everyone could do it!
- Excellent content delivered in an engaging way