Information for Mums, Dads and Carers
Families Feeling Safe – Protective Behaviours for mums, dads and carers
About the programme
The Families Feeling Safe programme is based on Protective Behaviours and can enable parents and carers to take charge of their lives by helping them to recognise their feelings and thoughts and to choose behaviours for which they take responsibility. It’s based on two themes and Seven Strategies:
- Theme 1, “We all have the right to feel safe all of the time”
- Theme 2, “We can talk with someone about anything even if it is awful or small”
- The Seven Strategies are how the two themes can be put into action
The programme is very practical and down to earth and is intended to support mums, dads and carers to build on their parenting skills and strengths without telling them what to do. This importance of making safer choices and the taking of responsibility are promoted. Mums, dads and carers can enhance their ability to help their children develop the skills they need to keep themselves feeling safe without using any scary ideas. Protective Behaviours ideas can be used anytime, anywhere and by anyone.
The programme is 9 sessions of 1½ hours each with a follow on session 1- 3 months after it finishes. It’s important to attend all the sessions.
The sessions focus on:
- Building self-esteem and personal confidence
- Recognising and trusting feelings
- Expressing feelings in a responsible way
- Staying in control and making safe choices
- Building networks of support
- Improving relationships and communication
- Developing problem-solving skills to help with a range of situations
- Raising awareness of rights and responsibilities
- Having some practical ideas to help keep mums, dads and carers and their child/ren feeling safe
Each parent and carer will receive their own book with the key points and ways to use them at home. The book was developed with parents and carers who have attended.
Parents and carers are encouraged to take part in whatever way feels safe/comfortable for them. Everyone will have choice and control over their level of participation and we would like parents and carers to know that:
- They will not be asked to talk about anything personal
- Individuals can speak up when they feel ready to
- Participants can talk individually with the facilitators about any issues they may have about being in the group
- We cover some important topics but usually have some fun!
Some quotes from mums, dads and carers who have attended the course
- “A brilliant course. All parents should do it. It wasn’t all happy. We meet people with different issues and it makes you understand and perhaps not judge others.”
- “I felt respected and appreciated in the group, I actually spoke in front of everyone. I’m very self- conscious and not good at sharing this kind of stuff but I didn’t feel I had to share if I didn’t want to.”
- “I thought I would feel ashamed but there were parents there that came from well-off backgrounds but they still struggled with the same stuff as me so that showed me and really helped me to see that we all have similar problems that we need help with.”
- Many thanks to all at Families Feeling safe, I have a very positive feeling about my future! I think more clearly and respond better to issues.
- Over the last 11 years I have done lots of courses to try & help with my families feelings & for me this is THE COURSE that has made the biggest difference to us, we all have benefitted from this. I find the techniques are easy to use & implement in to family life, I also found it easy to talk & give my feelings within this group.